No Marshmallows, Just Term Papers
CHARTER OF DEMANDS FROM BNC AND OTHER TRADE UNION GROUPINGS TO THE BRANDS DELEGATION REPRESENTING THE BUYERS OF HAMEEM GROUP:-
In light of the unfortunate incident of fire at the Hameem group’s That’s it Sportswear Unit, which cost the lives of so many innocent workers, BNC and other Trade Unions of Bangladesh have taken a unified stand on presenting this ‘CHARTER OF DEMANDS’ to the visiting delegation of Brands including Gap, J.C. Penny and Wal- Mart (and all other buyers from the Hameem group). In the name of the workers of Hameem, the Trade Unions of Bangladesh demand the following:-
1) The total compensation paid to the worker’s family by the Brands to be based on the loss of earning of the dead or injured workers. (So far, Hameem group has given 1,50,000 taka to the next of kin and family members of the deceased workers on 31/1/2011).
2) The Brands along with the industry to put together a comprehensive plan using national and international technical experts in fire safety to support the Bangladeshi RMG industry in becoming fire proof, so that such incidents are prevented in the future and the safety of each worker is ensured.
3) An urgent appeal is made that the Brands should use their influence to ensure that Freedom of Association and the Right to Collective Bargaining is respected in their supply chain in line with the International Labor standards for Decent work. A stronger, more unified workforce will be more empowered and vigilant when it comes to matters of their Health and Safety as well as other Human rights.
4) I on behalf of trade union movement in Bangladesh urges to the Brands, Buyers and Retailers to Race the Prices of the sourcing apparels and exercise ethical buying practice so that our manufacturer would be financially sound enough to pay the living wages of the workers.
5) The Hameem incident follows a series of other fire safety related incidents over the years that have negatively affected the lives of workers in the...