No Marshmallows, Just Term Papers
CHAPTER 1 – FOODS
FOOD - is any article whether simple, mixed or compounded, which is used as
food or drink, confectionery or condiment.
- any matter eaten by man to sustain life and nourish the body
- any substance which when taken into the body provides energy, builds and repairs tissues and regulated bodily processes.
FOOD SCIENCE- is the study of chemical, physical & microbiological nature of food and any transformation that food undergoes from the time it is produced to the time it is consumed.
HISTORY OF FOOD
• Early people ate food raw. At some point, they accidentally discovered that cooked food taste better and was easier to digest. By trial and error, they learned to control fire and use it to prepare food.
• Eventually, these early people found they could protect themselves and secure food more easily by living in groups. They formed tribes and begun to hunt for food together.
• The hunters became herders when they discovered that they could capture and domesticate animals. They also discovered that they could plant seeds to produce large amount of food. These two advances made the food supply much more dependable.
• As food became easily to obtain, not all people had spend their time hunting and farming. Some were able to a craft. Other became merchants. Trading in its simplest form began, and with came the development of civilization.
The Migration of Food
• As civilization grew and developed, people began searching for food in distant places.
• Spanish, Portuguese, English, and Dutch sailors traveled across the oceans in search of tea, spices, and other foods.
• The explorers introduced food they carried with them in new lands.
• In the U.S. – the Spanish explorers introduced cane sugar, wheat, oranges, and sheep. English explorers brought apple, pears, and walnuts.
• The explorers also carried foods from the land they explored, back to their...
Join now to view this essay and thousands of others on PaperCamp.com. It's free Join Now!