No Marshmallows, Just Term Papers
Week 15: The Excretory/Urinary System Study Guide
1) List at least 4 functions of the Urinary System.
d. Activation of Vitamin D
2) What is the role of the renal artery?
a. Transports oxygenated blood from the heart and aorta to the kidneys
3) What is the function of the nephron?
a. Filtration of blood and the reabsorption of secreted materials
4) What does the capsule do?
a. It supports and protects the kidney
5) What is the function of the cortex?
a. It is the main sight for filtration, reabsorption, and secretion
6) What are renal pyramids?
a. Triangular shaped units in the medulla that house the loops of Henle and collecting ducts of the nephron. This is also the site for the counter-current system that concentrates salt and conserves water and urea
7) Where is the site of blood filtration?
8) What does a nephron save for the body?
9) Where is the glomerous located?
a. The glomerulus is surrounded by the Bowman’s Capsule
10) How are kidney stones formed?
a. Crystalization od calcium, magnesium, or uric acid salts that are precipitated down to the renal pelvis
11) What are the symptoms of cystitis?
a. Inflammation, fever, increased urgency and frequency to urinate
12) What are the symptoms of Bright’s disease?
a. Back pain, vomiting and fever
13.) Name two causes for Incontinence.
Pregnancy and emotional disorders
15) How does dialysis therapy work?
It is a process that removes metabolic waste from the blood
16) What is surrounded by the Bowman’s capsule?
17) What organ is most essential for homeostasis in this system?
18) What are the functions of the urinary system?