No Marshmallows, Just Term Papers
Instructions: This is an honors level course. Answer all questions fully using complete sentences. If you want full credit, please provide plenty of details.
1. How is the concept of homeostasis related to aging and disease? Provide examples to support your thinking.
2. When we are dehydrated, we are thirsty and drink water. Is this part of negative or positive feedback control systems? Explain your reasoning.
3. Why would you have a hard time understanding physiology if you did not also understand anatomy?
4. Describe the different body cavities.
5. Career Focus: What does a dental hygienist do and why would he/she need to know anatomy and physiology?
1. No matter what age the body has to maintain homeostasis or you will die or become very ill. As the body age’s organs become less efficient causing homeostasis to become more challenging. If your body doesn’t have enough water content it could cause a series of heart problems, kidney failure and swelling.
2. It would be a negative feedback because the receptor would send signals to your brain making you thirsty.
3. You would have a hard time understanding physiology if u didn’t understand anatomy because they go with each other anatomy is the study of body structure and physiology is the study of the living system inside the body structure.
* Dorsal cavity: Bones of the cranial portion of the skull and vertebral column, toward the dorsal (posterior) side of the body.
* Cranial cavity: Contains the brain
* Spinal portion: Contains the spinal cord, which is an extension of the brain
* Ventral cavity: Anterior surface of torso; divided by diaphragm muscle into upper thoracic cavity and abdominopelvic cavity.
* Thoracic cavity: The chest; contains trachea, bronchi, lungs, esophagus, heart and great blood vessels, thymus gland, lymph nodes, and nerves. Contains smaller cavities, too:
* Pleural cavities surround each lung