No Marshmallows, Just Term Papers
Northeast Luzon Adventist College
Mabini Alicia, Isabela
A Compilation of Different Literary Pieces in the Philippines
In Partial Fulfilment of the Requirements for the Course Literature of the Philippines
Presented by: Wilson b
Presented to Mrs. Janet C. Borromeo
April 28, 2014
Table of Contents
Synopsis of the Development of Philippine Literature in English
Forms of Literature and Writers
Concurrent Significant Historical and Literary Events in the Philippines
What is Philippine Literature
Provinces and Capitals of the Regions
The Development of Philippine Literature in English During Modern Period
For the first twenty years, many books were published…both in Filipino and in English. Among the writers during this time were: Fred Ruiz Castro, Dominador I. Ilio, and C.B. Rigor.
Some notable works of the period include the following:
1. HORIZONS LEAST (1967) – a collection of works by the professors of UE, mostly in English (short stories, essays, research papers, poem and drama) by Artemio Patacsil and Silverio Baltazar
The themes of most poems dealt with the usual love of nature, and of social and political problems. Toribia Maño’s poems showed deep emotional intensity.
2. WHO SPOKE OF COURAGE IN HIS SLEEP – by NVM Gonzales
3. SPEAK NOT, SPEAK ALSO – by Conrado V. Pedroche
4. Other poets were Toribia Maño and Edith L. Tiempo
5. Jose Garcia Villa’s HAVE COME, AM HERE won acclaim both here and abroad.
NOVELS AND SHORT STORIES IN ENGLISH DURING THIS PERIOD
Longer and longer pieces were being written by writers of the period. Stevan Javellana’s WITHOUT SEEING THE DAWN tells of the grim experiences of war during the Japanese Occupation.
* 1961, Kerima Polotan’s novel THE HAND OF THE ENEMY won the Stonehill Award...