No Marshmallows, Just Term Papers
Elsie Grace S. Pepito
Nature, Structure, Goals and Content of Makabayan
-Dalisay V. Rigor, Ph.D.
At the end of this Chapter, the learner should be able to:
a. analyze the nature, goals and content of Makabayan;
b. present scenarios where Makabayan is applicable; and
c. appreciate Makabayan as a learning area.
Nature and Structure of Makabayan
What is said of Makabayan as a learning area?
• Makabayan is said to be a “laboratory of life” or a practice environment.
• It is the learning area that provides the Filipino learner the quality time to demonstrate practical knowledge and skills of empathy, vocational efficiency and problem solving in daily life.
• Love of country serves as the unifying principle for the diverse values in this learning area, thus it is called pagkakabayan or makabayan for short.
• As a practice environment, Makabayan will cultivate in the learner a healthy, personal and national self-concept which includes an adequate understanding of Philippine history and a genuine appreciation of our local culture, crafts, arts, music and games.
• Makabayan will promote a constructive or healthy patriotism which is neither hostile nor isolationist toward other nations but appreciative of global interdependence.
• The core competencies in the elementary level come from varied disciplines such as Social Studies, Home Economics, Physical Education, Health, Music and Arts.
• In the secondary level competencies come from Araling Panlipunan, Technology and Livelihood Education, Music Arts, Physical Education and Health, Citizenship Training, and Edukasyon sa Pagpapahalaga.
• These competencies will be developed through integrated units of learning task whenever such integrated units are possible and appropriate.
Pagkatapos ng aralin, ang mga mag-aaral ay inaasahang:
a. magkaroon ng malinaw na kaisipan tungkol sa...