No Marshmallows, Just Term Papers
IT273 Unit 2 Assignment
1. Complete the review questions:
a. The seventh layer of the OSI model is the Application layer.
b. Protocols in the Transport layer accept data from the Session layer and manage end-to-end delivery of data.
c. True or False: The IP (Internet Protocol) operates in the Transport layer.
d. True or False: Standards help to ensure interoperability between software and hardware from different manufacturers.
e. True or False: Standards define maximum acceptable performance.
2. Create a table showing each layer of the OSI model in the first column and providing a one paragraph description of that layer in the second column.
3. Add to your table a column showing which pieces of hardware most commonly manage each layer.
4. Add to your table a column showing the protocols employed at each level.
5. Add a column to your table showing how data is built from layer to layer.
Layer Name | Layer Description | Is managed by what hardware | Protocols Employed at each level | Data Build from Layer to Layer |
Application Layer | Makes possible communication between software applications and the network. Interprets the application’s requests and data sent from a network. Works with lower layer protocols to form a connection between a server and computer. | Servers, Gateways, Proxy servers, Application switches, Content filtering firewalls | BOOTP, DHCP, DNS, FTP, HTTP, IMAP4, PING, POP3, NSLOOKUP, NTP, SFTP, SMTP, SNMP | |
Presentation Layer | Serves as a translator that; accepts data and formats it so that one type of application and host can understand data from another type of application host | | | |
Session Layer | | | | |
Transport Layer | | | TCP, SYN, ACK | |
Network Layer | | | | |
Data Link Layer | | | | |
Physical Layer | | | | |
Join now to view this essay and thousands of others on PaperCamp.com. It's free Join Now!