No Marshmallows, Just Term Papers
Quiz for Chapter 2: Global E-Business and Collaboration
1. Define a business and describe the major business functions and their business processes.
Business: formal organization that makes products or provides a service in order to make a profit
Four basic business functions
• Manufacturing and production
• Sales and marketing
• Finance and accounting
• Human resources
2. Describe the characteristics of TPS, MIS, DSS, and ESS and explain how they differ from each other.
TPS: Transaction processing systems: Keep track of basic activities and transactions of organization. Like: sales, receipts, pallroll.
• Serve operational managers.
• Principal purpose is to answer routine questions and to track the flow of transactions through the organization.
• E.g., inventory questions, granting credit to customer
• Monitor status of internal operations and firm’s relationship with external environment.
• Major producers of information for other systems.
• Highly central to business operations and functioning.
MIS: Management information systems
• Provide middle managers with reports on firm’s performance.
• To monitor firm and help predict future performance.
• Summarize and report on basic operations using data from TPS.
• Provide weekly, monthly, annual results, but may enable drilling down into daily or hourly data.
• Typically not very flexible systems with little analytic capability.
DSS: decision support systems:
• DDS is a computer-based information system that supports business or organizational decision-making activities. DSSs serve the management, operations, and planning levels of an organization and help to make decisions, which may be rapidly changing and not easily specified in advance.
ESS: Executive support...