No Marshmallows, Just Term Papers
SE Quality & Testing Tutorial - Page 1
SOFTWARE ENGINEERING – TUTORIAL ON QUALITY & TESTING
User satisfaction = compliant product + good quality + delivery within budget & schedule
1. What is your opinion of having a separate testing phase for the SDLC?
2. Explain the significance of the following graph
3. Explain the significance of the following graph
4. Explain the difference between verification & validation
5. Explain the difference between an error and a defect
6. Software testing can be classified according to two strategies. These are Execution
based testing and Non-execution based testing:
a. Explain the difference between the two different types of software testing
b. Identify possible advantages and disadvantages of each strategy.
7. A possible definition of quality is that: A software product should satisfy its specifications.
Comment on this definition.
8. Provide a critical response to the assertions made by Bertrand Meyer (Pressman, P.46)
about the quality dilemma.
9. List & explain at least 8 aspects of software quality as identified by the likes of McCall
(1977) and Garvin (1987). In your answer provide a brief opinion on whether each of
these quality factors are still relevant today.
10. What is your opinion of software that is regarded as “good enough”?
SE Quality & Testing Tutorial - Page 2
11. A budding software engineer (SE) insists that there should be rigorous testing of the
analysis and design documents. An experienced SE responds by saying that the real
testing only begins when implementation starts. Provide a convincing argument for your
opinion on this matter.
12. What are the consequences of poor Web site development from the following
13. Compare the Web sites for UKZN and the University of Stellenbosch from a quality
perspective – Provide a report back using some of the answers mentioned in Question 5
14. Find a Website...