No Marshmallows, Just Term Papers
* Greece 1: Bronze-Age Greece
* Describe the geography and climate of the Greek world.
* What is the “Mediterranean Triad”?
* Give the dates of the Minoan period.
* How did the “Minoan” civilization get its name?
* What is a “thalassocracy”?
* What are pithoi (pithos, sing.)?
* When and why did Minoan civilization collapse?
* Give the dates of the Mycenaean period.
* Who excavated the Minoan and Mycenaean civilizations?
* Identify and describe the following images: “Priest-King” Fresco, Bull-Leaping Fresco, Mask of Agamemnon, Lion Gate.
* Describe “Linear A” and “Linear B” and match to their correct civilization.
* When and how did the Greek alphabet develop?
* The Mediterranean World
* The Geography of the Ancient Greek World
* Climate and Agriculture
* Typical Mediterranean climate
* Hot, dry summers
* Cold, rainy winters
* Mediterranean triad
* What can these be used for?
* The Minoan period on Crete
* c. 2900-1450 B.C.E.
* “There is a fair and fruitful island in mid-ocean called Crete; it is thickly peopled and there are ninety cities in it… There is a great town there, Knossos, where Minos reigned, who every nine years had a conference with Zeus himself.”
Homer, Odyssey Book 19, lines 184ff.
The Minoan thalassocracy
* Thalassa: “sea”/kratein: “to rule” (Grk.)
* "And the first person known to us by tradition as having established a navy is Minos. He made himself master of what is now called the Hellenic sea…”
* Thucydides, Book 1, chapter 4, section 1
(mid-fifth-century Greek historian)
* Evidence for thalassocracy
* Lack of defensive walls on land
* Artifacts from and visual representations of Minoan civilization found throughout Mediterranean world
* Cretans in Egyptian Art
* Sir Arthur Evans
* Bought entire site of Knossos on Crete in 1900
* Excavated there yearly...
Join now to view this essay and thousands of others on PaperCamp.com. It's free Join Now!